Hey guys, in the glorious tradition of the first two History quizzes, I submit my edition.
I'll be honest and admit I had to look up a few dates and people to make up the answer key, so I'm thinking this is going to be pretty tough. I also aimed to get some diversity in here, with at least one question per continent.
Quiz will be open until 5pm Tuesday.
I have arranged them in chronological order rather than by difficulty. I've also added some bonus opportunities to make it a bit easier.
Standard Rule - Please answer only from memory. Guessing is ok, but looking it up isn't.
1) Who was the Persian commander at the Battle of Platea? (479 BC)
2) Who was the first Western military leader to conquer part of Afghanistan?
3) Who was the commander of the winning side at the Battle of Stamford Bridge? Bonus Point for naming the loser.
4) Who was defeated at the Battle of Manzikert? (1071)
5) Name a King engaged at the Battle of Crecy (1346) (Bonus points for more)
6) What special weapon was the British 95th Regiment of Foot equipped with when it was founded?
7) Who was the commander of the Texian forces who were massacred at Goliad in 1836?
8) What native people fought against the British during the First Taranaki War? (1860-1861)
9) What American Civil War cannon design imported from Great Britain had a hexagonal barrel instead of rifling?
10) What two ships were destroyed by the CSS Virginia in Hampton Roads in 1862? (1/2 point each)
11) What four South American countries were involved in the War of the Triple Alliance? (1864-1870) (1/4 point for each)
12) Which Lakota Sioux leader gave his name to the 1866-1868 "war" which lead to the US Army abandonment of the Powder River country and Fort Phil Kerney?
13) What nation won the Battle of Adowa (1896)?
14) What US Navy ship played a key role in the Battle of Santiago de Cuba and chased down the Cristóbal Colón?
15) Name a battlecruiser sunk at the Battle of Jutland. (Bonus POINT if you can name all 4)
16) What was the number of the U-Boat, or the name of the commander, which sank HMS Royal Oak in 1939.
17) What was the original main battery of the Fletcher-class destroyers like USS O'Bannon?
18) Who opposed the British during the Malayan Emergency?
19) What aircraft shot down the first MiG-15 during the Korean War?
20) Name at least two nations/groups involved in the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale (1989). (1/2 point for each, up to 5)
21) Who was the American commander at the Battle of Vera Cruz (1847)?
22) In which Army did Adolf Hitler serve during World War I?